Wednesday, January 14, 2009

The Children's Hour

Grandma is doing great but not sleeping so well. The one upside about the sleepless nights, she says, is that she is remembering some of her favorite poems. She asked me to look up this poem and once I found it and started reading, she jumped in and basically recited the whole thing.

She also mentioned that she lost the poem she wrote for their 50th (the one about the first 50 years and the 10 kids). Does anyone have a copy or know of someone that may, or have it on video and could re-write it?

Grandma says "Love ya all". Here's the poem (by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow) for everyone's enjoyment. If you try, you can probably almost hear Grandma's voice as your read it!

The Children's Hour


Between the dark and the daylight,
When the night is beginning to lower,
Comes a pause in the day's occupation,
That is know as the children's hour.

I hear in the chamber above me
The patter of little feet,
The sound of a door that is opened,
And voices soft and sweet.

From my study I see in the lamplight,
Descending the broad hall stair,
Grave Alice, and laughing Allegra,
And Edith with golden hair.

A whisper and then a silence:
Yet I know by their merry eyes,
They are plotting and planning together,
To take me by surprise.

A sudden rush from the stairway,
A sudden raid from the hall!
By three doors left unguarded
They enter my castle wall!

They climb up into my turret
O'er the arms and back of my chair;
If I try to escape, they surround me,
They seem to be everywhere.

They almost devour me with kisses,
Their arms about me entwine,
Till I think of the Bishop of Bingen
In his Mouse-Tower on the Rhine!

Do you think, O blue-eyed banditti,
Because you have scaled the wall,
Such an old mustache as I am
Is not a match for you all?

I have you fast in my fortress
And will not let you depart,
But put you down in the dungeon
In the round-tower of my heart.

And there will I keep you forever,
Yes, forever and a day,
Till the walls shall crumble to ruin,
And moulder in dust away!

Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

9 comments:

  1. Yes Mother, I do hear your voice reciting that poem as well as sleepily reading us bedtime stories. You did instill in me a love of literature! They say children are ever so blessed who had a mother who read to them. Thank you for the countless hours of mothering!
    I will be thinking of you & Daddy tomorrow on what would have been his 85th birthday. Please know that I love you & that I hope you will have floods of good memories in your mind as you think of days gone by. That's what I try to focus on.
    We are very anxious to see you the end of the month.
    Love to everyone in Elma!
    Cherlyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you grandma - Thanks for all the good memories:)

    Adrianne

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you remember so many poems and good ones at that. I love you and miss you. Hope Washington is good. Hope to see you soon. Fun that Cher gets to come see you in a short while. Hugs and kisses to ya.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always loved the poet in you Grandma...That and MANY other things about you. Love you SOOOO much!!! Hope to see you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Mom,
    So I'm giving this a try... So nice to see you and everybody up there at Carolyn's. I had a great time playing Greedy... although I had to get out of there because I could no longer take the beatings... I'm so glad that you are staying motivated about doing your exercises, you are doing so well and you are so much stronger. Keep up the good work!... I'm very proud of you. Tell all those Crazy Doyle's hello for me and thanks for the fun.... as always I appreciate their positive attitudes and they way they keep us laughing!! Have a great week! Enjoy the sunshine while it lasts, can't wait to see everyone in Umatilla!! Love YOU and miss you TOO! LOVE and HUGS TO ALL!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey grandma mykelti,atley,landon,and sarah we all love you very much hope you are doing good that grampa died we are all so sorry

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Aunt Dorothy- found your blog through Becky's facebook. I wanted you to know that I think about you often and hope you are doing good. I know my mom misses you terribly but she knows you are where you need to be. I love you - Melney

    ReplyDelete
  8. HI Mom,
    Just wanted to say hi and send my love. I hope all is well and I'm counting the days until Umatilla. Can't wait to see you and all the family. I hope you are doing well!
    Love you so much!!
    gg

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey grandma, just wanted to say hello. I need to call you so we can chat. We miss you tons. Can't wait to see you again. Hope you are doing well.

    ReplyDelete